Friday, October 14, 2011

WEEKEND PICKS

Well it's the weekend again, and I'm here to make my picks for what I think will be the top 3 college football games of the weekend. I will follow this up with my pro picks tomorrow or Sunday morning. Last week I went 3-0 in my picks, and came relatively close in all the scores, and 4-0 for the weekend if you include my Clemson thumping of BC. Overall this week's slate isn't that impressive, but there are still a handful of games that are worth watching. Well enough rambling, and here are my college picks.

1) Michigan vs Michigan State: Going into this game, many people are wondering if Michigan is going to falter similar to the way they did around this time last year. Just watching them this year though I do think this team is vastly improved, especially on the defensive front. Head Coach Brady Hoke is known for his defense and he has brought in Greg Mattison, formerly the defensive coordinator for the Baltimore Ravens, and so far their impact has been quite noticeable. Their offense led by "Shoelace" Denard Robinson, continues to impress and it is for that reason, why I believe Michigan will be in every game this season, due to their ability to score points so quickly, as was seen at the end of the miraculous win over Notre Dame in the final seconds. Michigan State on the other hand has also been impressive. Statistically they have one of the best defenses in the country, and they also have one of the better quarterback-receiver combinations in Kirk Cousins and BJ Cunningham. Despite the game being in East Lansing, there is something about this year's Michigan squad, that makes me think "Hail to the Victors," will be the last some playing. I like Michigan close. Michigan 28-Michigan State 24.

2) Baylor vs Texas A&M: When looking across the schedule this week, the sexier match-up in the Big 12, seemed to be Oklahoma State vs Texas, but after seeing Texas last weekend against Oklahoma, I realized that they are still very young and I think will be overpowered for the second weekend in a row by the Polks offense. It is for this reason why I think Baylor and Texas A&M will be a lot more intriguing of a game. If anyone didn't watch the Baylor vs TCU game on the opening weekend of the college football game, not only did they miss in my mind one of the top games of the year, but they missed the opportunity to watch Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin III aka RG3. If he didn't play at Baylor, he would probably be one of the leaders in the Heisman race, but because of their lack of television exposure, he tends to be overlooked a lot. Over the past few years Baylor coach Art Briles has brought the Bears from being a push over to a very respectable program within the Big 12. Texas A&M on the other hand, came into the season with high expectations, and after blowing two big leads in the second half in consecutive games over Oklahoma State and Arkansas, many thought their season would start to take the form of a downward spiral. Last week however they went on the road and beat a very good Texas Tech team, and it seems people are again starting to believe in the Aggies. This game I think will be one of the more exciting games, because both teams have very fun offenses to watch. In the end though I like the Aggies to win close at home in College Station. Texas A&M 38 - Baylor 31.

3) Oregon vs Arizona State: This is another game where offense will be main focus of the game. After losing to LSU in week 1, the Ducks have come back nicely, and dominated every game they have played, and looked a lot like the Ducks of last year. The Sun Devils, whom many people picked to represent the Pac 12 South in the conference title game, mainly due to the fact that USC can't participate this year, has also put together a nice season. I have never been a big ASU fan, mainly because they seem to never live up to expectations, but this year they have been competitive in all games, and have already beat USC pretty handily. Their only loss was against Illinois on the road, which at the time I picked ASU to lose in an upset, but with Illinois still undefeated, that loss isn't looking as bad for the Sun Devils. Despite LaMichael James being out, I do feel like Kenjon Barner will be able to fill in just fine at the running back position for the Ducks. Most teams don't tend to play well up in Eugene against the Ducks, and add in the fact it's a night game and College Gameday is there, I like the Ducks to win, and win pretty easily. Oregon 45 - ASU 21.

FINAL THOUGHT:

I know we are in the heart of the college football season, but tonight marks the kick-off of the college basketball season, as teams can participate in midnight madness. With the NBA season looking more in doubt with each passing day, college basketball may be our only source of the game on television this year.

Well that's about it, hope you all have a good weekend, and I will have my NFL picks later this weekend.

No comments: