Wednesday, October 12, 2011

PATRIOTS ARE LOOKING GOOD; BC FOOTBALL NOT SO MUCH

So this past Sunday the Patriots took on the AFC rival Jets. I am not shocked that the Pats won, but what was very encouraging about the victory was how they did it. In my mind this was their first complete game of the season. They had a very balanced offensive attack having attempted 33 pass attempts to their 35 rushing attempts, including a career high 136 yard from BenJarvus Green-Ellis. Along with their impressive offensive game, the defense played their best game of the season, when many feared it would continue to falter with Jerod Mayo out. What makes the balanced offensive attack so important for the Patriots is that going into the game the Patriots have been mainly a passing team, which makes it easier for defenses to plan for, even though Tom Brady continues to shred the majority of defenses apart. With a strong running attack though it would leave many teams guessing on what the Pats will due, and thus harder to game plan for. Although I like the Patriots to beat the Cowboys this weekend, I would like to remind Pats fans that the team's worst offensive performance last year was against the Rob Ryan's defense in Cleveland. Rob Ryan is now the Dallas defensive coordinator, so the game could be closer than most people think. In the end though I like the Pats to win 27-17. I will have more of my picks, both in the pros and college ranks later on this week.



STATE OF BC SPORTS:


This past weekend was the first time in a long time, if ever, where I chose the gifts Mother Nature blessing us New Englanders with 80 degree weather in October, over watching the BC football game. Now every other year since I have either been a student at BC or an Alum, I would always have chosen the BC football game over the nice weather, but this year has really begun to irritate me. BC football for as long as I can remember has caused me great stress. It seems almost every season we lose a game that causes fans to scratch their heads and ask "how did we lose that game" and it seems forever we have never won the big game or had a major upset. We seem to have been close when we played a top ranked team, but found a way to lose it in the end. This year's squad isn't so much frustrating as it is painful. Last week against Clemson not only did I had zero confidence that we would win, but I had zero confidence that we would even be in the game. And both trains of thought proved to be true as the Tigers soundly beat BC 36-14.


University of Arizona fired Mike Stoops this week after the Wildcats started 1-5. Now I don't think Frank Spaziani will be fired mid-season after his own 1-5 start , but I hope Gene Defilippo, realizes that a change must be done. I have said it in previous posts that Coach Spaz had been a great defensive coordinator over the years for BC, but I don't think many people ever felt he would be a great coach. When Jeff Jagodzinski took over from Tom O'Brien as BC's head coach, it was a breath of fresh air, because he was a man that had great energy. College football unlike the pros isn't so much about the x's and the o's, but the most important part in my mind is the recruiting. High School athletes tend to gravitate towards coaches that are not only successful, but also have great energy. If anyone has ever watched a Coach Spaz press conference, one can quickly see that he doesn't come across as the most lively guy. I don't think BC will win more than 2 more games this year, and I am still dumbfounded that with a lost season they brought back Montel Harris, only to see him re-injure himself and lose him for the rest of the year. It is for these reasons that a change must be named.


If it was up to me I'd really like Oklahoma's defensive coordinator Brent Venables to be the next BC coach. He has learned from one of this best coaches in the country in Bob Stoops. Has been part of teams that have won not only numerous conference titles, but also a National Title. If anyone watched the Oklahoma-Texas game this past weekend, one would not only see how tough the Oklahoma defense was, but one would also see the passion Veneables had on the sideline. Although I don't think Gene will look at him, I really do hope that he stops the sinking ship known as BC football and fires Coach Spaz.



On a brighter note, BC hockey is back and they had two impressive victories last weekend over Michigan State and host North Dakota to win the Ice Breaker tournament. As a result BC goes into this weekend's tilt against #3 ranked Denver, as the #1 team in the country. The only negative that came from this weekend's game is that I'm not the biggest fan of the new Under Armour hockey uniforms. I have liked the partnership BC has had with Under Armour and I definitely think their uniforms and gear is a huge step up from the one's BC had with Reebok, but I don't think they did the best of job with the hockey jerseys as is seen above. With that being said, if that's the only thing I can complain about in terms of the state of BC hockey, then that means that Coach York is continuing to put a tremendous product on the ice.


Well that's about it. Once again I will give you all my picks later this week.












No comments: