Friday, October 28, 2011

COLLEGE WEEKEND PICKS

Well last week wasn't my best week when it came to my picks. If I have learned something this year it is to stay away from picking the Michigan State games. Back to back weeks I pick against them, and both weeks they come out victorious. Although I am going to stay clear of including them in my three picks for the weekend, I do think their luck comes to an end this weekend in Lincoln, when they take on Nebraska, but I am still not willing to go on the record with that. Despite the fact there are some pretty good games scheduled for this weekend, the talk has already begun in full force, for next weekend's tilt between #1 LSU and #2 Alabama. Many have already said that this game is the closest to the Super Bowl that college football has had in a while. I myself, although I am thoroughly looking forward to that game next week, will stick with this week's games. So here are my top 3 picks of the week.

1) Oklahoma vs Kansas State: I, like many, thought for sure Oklahoma was at least going to be undefeated going into their game with Oklahoma State. I even included them as one of the teams to be in the BCS title game. Last weekend however against Texas Tech their secondary got torn to shreds, and their offense never looked fully in sync. Kansas State on the other hand, tends to be the Cinderella story of the year. Wildcat quarterback Collin Klein hasn't been flashy with his arm, but he proves to be one of the Wildcats' biggest threats with his feet, as he is the team's leading rusher. Although KSU has been one of the great stories this year, I do think their luck comes to an end, as they begin the toughest part of their schedule. I have seen Oklahoma a few times this year, and with the exception of last weekend, they have consistently outmatched their opponents, and that's why I consider last week a blip on the radar. I do believe the game will be close, but in the end I think Landry Jones and the Sooner receiving corps take over the game in the second half. I like Oklahoma to win 35-24.

2) Clemson vs Georgia Tech: If KSU is one of the Cinderella stories of the year, Clemson has to be the other. Clemson has always been a team that has always had tremendous athletes on their team, but for various reasons they never seem to fully meet expectations. This year however they have seemed to turn the corner. Every game it seems like they have scored a touchdown in all phases of the game. Sammy Watkins is playing as a man amongst boys both as a receiver and kick returner, and if he was allowed (he's a freshman), I'm convinced he would be a top 5 pick. Also,Tajh Boyd has finally been the consistent quarterback that the Tigers have been looking for over the last 5 years. The Yellow Jackets on the other hand through the first six games looked like the team that won them an ACC title in 2009 (it has since been vacated). The relentless running attack of quarterback Tevin Washington and running back Orwin Smith over powered every defense they encountered. The last two weeks on the road however their running game has been put to a halt as they lost both to UVA and Miami. So the question is, will Clemson be able to stop their running game as well, since there now appears to be a blue print? I'm not going to say that Clemson will shut down the Georgia Tech running attack, but I do think they come out victorious, in what I consider their last true test until they play their in state rival South Carolina, and potentially a re-match with Virginia Tech in the ACC title game. I like Clemson 35-Georgia Tech 27.

3) USC vs Stanford: I am still kicking myself over my pick of Notre Dame to beat USC last week. In my heart I knew USC was the more talented team, but I just thought maybe it being the first night game in 21 years at Notre Dame, that it would be enough to put the Irish over the hump. Because of that I am going to try to redeem myself this week, and go with the Trojans over the Cardinal. Although I am not totally confident in this pick, I do believe that USC is treating this like thier Super Bowl for the season, since they can't play in the PAC 12 title game or go to a bowl game. Although I have always been impressed by the Matt Barkley and Robert Woods connection, last week truly re-affirmed that thought. I do think Andrew Luck will also have a great day, but for Stanford to go home victorious I think they will have to utilize it's running game, to the fullest, led by Stepfan Taylor, and keep the USC offense off the field. Despite the facr I am going with USC, I also do believe that Stanford may use this game to make a statement in their hopes of getting into the BCS title game. I like USC 38-Stanford 35.

As for my BC pick, I am going to go out on the limb and actually pick BC. I did like what I saw in the first half of the game against Virginia Tech last week, both offensively and defensively, but a game is 60 minutes, not 30. Maryland comes into the game struggling just as much as BC, so this game is basically going to determine who will finish last or second to last in the ACC Atlantic standings. If there is one positive to take away from last week, it was the running of sophomore running back Rolandan Finch, who rushed for 92 yards. I'm hoping BC will continue to pound the ball, and not have to pass the ball as much. This game could be tough to watch, but a victory could be a huge momentum booster with FSU coming to Chestnut Hill on Thursday night. I like BC to win 20-17.

No comments: