Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Combine Again Shows That NFL Is the King Of Sports



Although I am a fan of all sports, football is without a doubt my favorite.  One of the main reasons is it is a relatively short season where you only have to invest a day each week to your team, whereas baseball you have to invest usually 6 games a week over a 162 game season.  Another reason I like football so much is that it is the one sport where I truly like the pro game equal to the college game.  Come fall, good luck trying to get me to do anything non-football related on a Saturday or Sunday.  Football however over the last decade or so has shown that it is not just a fall sport but rather a year round sport with the combine this week being a prime example.

I have always thought that the combine is the most overrated thing in sports.  I understand it helps GMs and coaches further evaluate players and it is a place where they can get to know the players personally through interviews, but I am a firm believer that the game film doesn't lie.  I don't care if a player in skin tight Under Armour gear can run a 40 yard dash fast or bench press X amount of times.  My question has always been has the guy proven over his 3 or 4 years in college to be able to play his position at a high level against the nation's best competition, all while wearing full pads?  If the player has been able to do that then I really could care less what he does in the combine.  With all that being said people seem to be fascinated by the combine as can be seen by the NFL Network's wall to to wall coverage.  How people find it fun to watch the players do drills is beyond me yet ratings show people like to watch it.

As a BC alum and season ticket holder of the football team, I will say it was great to see all the players in this week's combine do well.  Andre Williams was able to build on his Heisman finalist and Doak Walker Award winning season, defensive tackle Kaleb Ramsey led all defensive lineman with 36 reps in the bench press of 225 lbs, and most notably linebacker Kevin Pierre-Louis may have helped his draft stock more than anyone with his strong overall performance.  Below is a video BC athletics posted on bceagles.com yesterday showcasing all the Eagles' performances at the combine.  



No comments: