Tuesday, March 11, 2014

NBA Needs To Change Their Noche Latina Uniforms


If you have watched an NBA game recently, you may have noticed various teams wearing uniforms similar to the one Bulls' center Joakim Noah is wearing above.  While my Rants are never supposed to be political in nature, this issue with the NBA and their Noche Latina nights, where they honor the Latin race and culture, has irked me over the past couple seasons. I am all for honoring the Latin race or any race or culture for that matter, however  my big pet peeve is that the NBA is going about it wrong.  Adding a Los or El in front of the the team's name on their jersey to me is almost mocking the Spanish language.  If the NBA really wanted to honor the Latin race make the jersey say Los Toros (Spanish word for bulls) instead of Los Bulls.  If anything by adding the actual Spanish word for the team name it could be somewhat educational to the fans as they may learn a Spanish word they never knew before.

My other big issue with the NBA and its uniforms is this short sleeve jersey phenomenon.  I am all for changes in a uniform if it can improve a player's performance, but personally I think these jerseys look ridiculous.  What angers me the most is that the Celtics are going to wear the short sleeve jersey ,pictured above, on St. Patrick's Day which also happens to be my 30th birthday.  As a lifelong Celtics fan that is almost a slap in my face.  Being the traditional franchise that the Celtics are, I thought they'd be above all this uniform change nonsense, but I guess not.  This past Friday night the Celtics players on the bench were wearing Los Celtics t-shirts and now this coming week they will don the short sleeve jersey.  If there is one positive it is that after a game against Spurs last week, the current face of the NBA Lebron James spoke out against the wearing of short sleeved jerseys.  Finally, as huge fan of March Madness I am not looking forward to seeing the Adidas sponsored schools such as Baylor (pictured below) wearing these heinous looking uniforms in their conference tournaments this week and in the NCAA Tournament in the coming weeks.  Needless to say I hope this is a fashion trend that comes to an abrupt end.


No comments: